Blog Action Day 2010 - Water

I must confess. After receiving the email about the topic for this year, I was at a bit of a loss on what I would be able to contribute. I searched the internet and I had some ideas thrown at me from various sources. I know there are a lot of issues surrounding water. I was able to gather some of interest. Still, I just could not wrap my head around it. I started to write even though I had no idea how my blog post would turn out. A few minutes later and it was then that it dawned on me. I had taken water for granted.

Everyday we encounter this element quite easily than most that it is very easy to overlook our relationship with water. Whenever we take a shower, drink from our bottled water, or wash our hands, it is readily available and using it seems without much consequence. We only need to take a few steps in our own homes or go to the nearest convenience store and it's there. Today, though, let's take some few more steps to find out what we may be missing. Hopefully, it starts a new and better awareness about water for us all.

Issues and Concerns: What you may not know about water

A Human Right: In July, to address the water crisis, the United Nations declared access to clean water and sanitation as a human right. But we are far from implementing solutions to secure basic access to safe drinking water.
Read More at the UN News Centre

Fashion Footprint: That cotton t-shirt you're wearing right now took 1,514 liters of water to produce, and your jeans required an extra 6,813 liters.
Read More at Treehugger

Bottled Water Footprint: The US, Mexico and China lead the world in bottled water consumption, with people in the US drinking an average of 200 bottles of water per person each year. Over 17 million barrels of oil are needed to manufacture those water bottles, 86 percent of which will never be recycled.
Read an insight from Annie Leonard at change.org

Closer to Home: Once known to be one of the most beautiful rivers in the Phillipines, the 27 kilometer long Pasig River is now biologically dead. This sorry state can be attributed to the unabated dumping of garbage, untreated industrial effluents and domestic liquid waste into the river and its tributaries.
Read about the efforts to rehabilitate the Pasig River in the Philippines.
Pasig River Rehabilitation Commission
Sagip Pasig Movement


Solutions: How we can help

Keeping Rivers Clean: We can all take small steps to help keep pollution out of our rivers and streams, like correctly disposing of household wastes.
Read more on How to Clean Up Our Water...

Conservation Starts at Home: The average person uses 465 liters of water per day. Find out how much you use and challenge others to do the same.
Calculate your water footprint at H20 Conserve

Drop the Bottle: Communities around the world are taking steps to reduce water bottle waste by eliminating bottled water.
Read an insight at change.org


Today is Blog Action Day 2010.
And this is my one glass worth on water.
What's yours?

Popular posts from this blog

The Fast, The Furious, and The Duel Commander Super Series

Southern Bivouac 12-13-14

#HuntBiggerGame